Perfect for the holidays, this variation on the traditional green bean casserole is full of flavor and a colorful addition to any dinner table.
These are the best green beans! Something new for my table this holiday season …seasoned green beans. But not just any seasoned green beans, I mean nothing new about seasoned green beans … nope, but these are southern style, Texas style, green beans. Cooked in good ole bacon grease and onions, along with some garlic and peppers and …GREATNESS is made!
Okay, not quite as healthy as I would like …bacon, bacon grease and everything, BUT it is Thanksgiving and Christmas we’re talking about here! Gobble, gobble, and all that. So splurge and eat up I say!
This recipe is easy preparation, easy clean up and taste like you ordered out from Texas Road House Steak House or somewhere. Yeeehaww y’all!! This one is a winner! A favorite of ours, one I will be sharing with my favorite link up party Fiesta Friday. Come on over and join the fun!
And until next time …
Southern Style Seasoned Green Beans
By: Arl’s World
- 2 cans cut green beans (14.5 oz cans)
- 5-6 slices of bacon
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth, use more if needed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet bell pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fry the bacon in a skillet over medium-low heat until done, drain and set aside.
- Add the garlic , chopped peppers and onions to bacon grease and cook for a minute or two.
- Add the green beans and chicken broth, salt and pepper to taste. Turn the heat to low and cover the skillet with a lid.
- Simmer for about 15 -20 minutes or until all is tender. You can add more chicken broth during the cooking process, if needed, but it is okay to let onions and peppers caramelize some.
- Crumble bacon in green beans, stir and serve.